Anthropology Laboratory (Archaeology Museum)
The Anthropology Laboratory is housed in the historic, nine-room Liberty Hall Farmhouse. The lab consists of two artifact-processing rooms, a museum area with permanent display cases and boards, a darkroom with associated enlarger and supplies, a staff work area, seven student work stations, five networked computers for students to analyze collections, and an artifact storage area in the basement. The department of anthropology is currently updating the lab, expanding computer bases, and installing Auto CAD with a digitizing tablet.
DID YOU KNOW?
Established in 1981, the James G. Leyburn Scholars Program in Anthropology is named for James G. Leyburn, who served as dean of the University from 1947 to 1955, and as the head of the Sociology/Anthropology department until 1967. The program is designed to further the study of and research in anthropology by enabling the University to provide stipends supporting student research during both the academic year and summer. Projects are structured to provide the student with the opportunity to develop skills in research design, fieldwork, data collection, and analysis and report preparation.