Hotchkiss Alumni House
Built in 1887 by prominent Baltimore architect J. Crawford Neilson, the Hotchkiss Alumni House served as a faculty residence for more than 75 years. The home, owned by the University, was made available to the Alumni Association by the University Board of Trustees in January of 1964. Using donations from alumni, it was extensively remodeled and reopened as a campus alumni center in 1966. It was named in the honor of alumnus Farris Hotchkiss '58 in 2008. The house now serves as a reception site for Homecoming, Reunion Weekend and other campus events, as well as a meeting place for the Alumni Board of Directors. It is also rented out to alumni for private receptions. The Alumni Office staff is located on the top floor of the house.
DID YOU KNOW?
Prominent W&L alumni include author Tom Wolfe '51, former New York Stock Exchange president Bill Johnston '61, television correspondent Roger Mudd '50 and Nobel Prize winner Dr. Joseph L. Goldstein '62, as well as 4 U.S. Supreme Court Justices, 27 U.S. Senators, 31 Governors and 65 U.S. Congressmen.