Wilson Field is the home of the Washington and Lee football, men's lacrosse and track & field programs.
The field is named after William L. Wilson, president of the University from February 1897 until his death in 1900. Wilson, a congressman and later Postmaster General for the Grover Cleveland administration before coming to Lexington, provided the college with farsighted and diligent leadership.
Since the initial field was built on its current site in the early 1900’s, Wilson Field has received numerous upgrades. Wilson Field initially consisted of the main athletic field and a small set of bleachers. The field was improved intermittently between 1923 and 2004, before the college announced plans to demolish Wilson Field and build a new Wilson Field in time for the 2008 season.
The new completed Wilson Field is a $15.5 million project that features new home and visitor stands with a seating capacity of roughly 4,000 seats.
The facility also includes a new state-of-the-art press box, scoreboard and sound system, lights for night games and practices, an expanded track, improved concessions areas, new restroom facilities, as well as spacious and attractive entryways and landscaping.